Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Rustic Salsa Ranchera


My mother-in-law makes a killer salsa ranchera. Every one comments on how good and spicy it is. My husband loves it too, but has to wait until he is at his mom's house to have it. Therefore I decided to make it for him at our home. But I did not want to try to duplicate his mom recipe. I knew it would never come close. I started with the same ingredients, but added one extra ingredient to make it my own. Roasted red bell pepper were my secret ingredient. They blend so well with red tomatoes and the texture of the jalapenos. My husband loved my salsa. He did not compared it to his mom, it was just a good salsa.  My family is Mexican and we love our spicy food. We can add salsa to almost anything. This particular salsa is great on sunny side eggs which are called Huevos Rancheros. I used it with quesadillas, and add it to my tacos. I have made a vegetarian taco using only the salsa and no meat. It is great!!! The salsa ranchera ingredients are typically in chunks, but I prefer the strips. You decided how you want to prep your salsa. This recipe is very simple, even easier if you broil all the ingredients with oil until charred.

1      Sliced Jalapeno (with seeds or without seeds)
1      Medium Sliced Onion
1      Red Sliced Bell Pepper
2      Fresh Tomatoes (can tomatoes can work too)
        Salt to taste

If you did not use your oven, here is how to saute it on the stove top.

1. Over medium heat, put oil on a pan and add the onions, Saute until translucent  for about 4 minutes.
2. Then add jalapenos and saute for about 2 minutes. Jalapenos with seeds are spicier. Choose your heat wisely.

3. Next add the bell pepper and saute until they are soft. About 4-5 minutes.

4. Add the diced tomatoes and bring to a boil.  Once it bubbles lower heat, cover pan and simmer for about 10-15 minutes. If it looks too dry, add water. I like my salsa a bit runny, so I check on it periodically and add water accordingly.
 
5. Season with salt and serve

My favorite way to use this salsa is in Huevos Rancheros. Fry a tortilla in light oil for 15 seconds each side over medium heat, and seat on a plate. Make two sunny side eggs and place on top of your tortilla. Finally  add your salsa.









No comments:

Post a Comment