This recipe was created when I started incorporating more vegetarian dishes. At first I used the roll out pizza dough from the grocery store. But I would have to wait until I bought some in order to make my pizza. One day I decided to make it used toast...it was delicious. Then I tried a toastada...amazing. But using french bread is by far my favorite. The crust is crunchy, but the inside is soft. I love this pizza version sooo much. It is so easy to change it up and add your favorite vegetable toppings. I have tried carrots, butternut squash, red bell peppers, beets and spinach. But by far sweet potatoes are my favorite. The only real work is cooking your vegetables in the pan. I cut my potatoes in small pieces so they can saute faster. I use only one pan in this recipe. First I toast the bread, then cook the potatoes. Once the sweet potatoes are done, I quickly assemble my pizza. I noticed that the heat of the potatoes warms the bread and melts the cheese. You can definitely use your broiler to toast and melt the cheese too.

Italian Bread Slices
Sweet Potatoes Diced
Hummus (any variety)
Shredded Cheddar Cheese

1. I toast the bread in the ban, then set aside.

2. Add the oil and potatoes to the pan. I toss the potatoes occasionally until they are done. This can take 10-15 minutes, depending on the size of your potatoes. Just insert a knife tip through to sweet potato,  if it glides right in then it is done. 

3. Now assemble your pizza.  Spread hummus on your bread, add sweet potatoes, and quickly top with cheese.

I have tried marinara sauce instead of hummus. A tomato based sauce is a traditional ingredient to a pizza, but hummus gives it a nice creamy texture. I have used red pepper, artichoke, and spicy hummus spread. You can used what you prefer...the possibilities are endless.