Pages

Sunday, March 3, 2013

Quinoa Pico de Gallo

This recipe was a result of preparing too much food for a party.  We were serving shrimp ceviche and had chopped too many vegetables. By the end of the night we were out of shrimp but had a bowl of pico de gallo. Pico de Gallo is raw salsa made with chopped onions, tomatoes, cilantro, lime and jalapenos.  I add cucumber for added crunch. I was going to use the salsa with tortilla chips as a snack. Until I made quinoa for dinner the following day. I then had the brilliant idea to add the pico de gallo with the quinoa. And then I had a even better idea to add chickpeas. The results is a salsa/salad loaded with protein. This recipe is good on those nights you want something fresh and fast. It is also a good alternative to a garden salad. Here is my recipe:

1c         Quinoa (cooked)
1           Medium Cucumber
1/2c      Red Onions Diced
1           Big Tomato (Beefsteak)
1           Jalapeno
1can      Chickpeas (drained)
             Cilantro to taste
             Lime Juice
             Salt/Pepper to taste

1. Add quinoa to a bowl.


3. Chop tomato, cucumber, red onion, jalapeno and cilantro. Jalapenos with seeds are spicier than jalapenos without seeds. Choose your heat wisely.


4. Add your diced ingredients and drained garbanzos to your bowl of quinoa.

5. Squeeze as much lime as you like and season to taste.

This pico de gallo smell so fresh. It brings me back to summers in my garden. You smell the fresh cilantro, cool cucumber, and refreshing lime juice. I add Tajin to my dish. Tajin is dried chili peppers, and dehydrated lime juice. If you can not find it near the produce, you can use cayenne pepper.


No comments:

Post a Comment